Monday, October 28, 2013

Terrific Tuesday 10.29.13

It's that day again, Terrific Tuesday, which means that we all survived Manic Monday {kudos all around, especially if yours was anything like mine!} but more importantly it means we get to feature another book we've read in the past that we thought was a terrific read worth talking about!!

By April:

I had no trouble at all picking a feature book for this week!  As I scrolled through my Kindle library I saw the cover of this book and immediately remembered almost word for word the line that gave the book its title and I thought being able to quote a book six months after reading it is a pretty good sign that it is worth sharing!!  Thanks for obliging me this little moment of nostalgia with A Different Blue by Amy Harmon!!


"Blue Echohawk doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know her real name or when she was born. Abandoned at two and raised by a drifter, she didn't attend school until she was ten years old. At nineteen, when most kids her age are attending college or moving on with life, she is just a senior in high school. With no mother, no father, no faith, and no future, Blue Echohawk is a difficult student, to say the least. Tough, hard and overtly sexy, she is the complete opposite of the young British teacher who decides he is up for the challenge, and takes the troublemaker under his wing."

Several things from this book made a lasting impression on me.  First, I learned so much from Wilson's {the young British teacher} class lessons and it wasn't the least bit boring, as it usually is for this so.not.a.history.fan!!  And while that was not at all the point of this book, it is without a doubt a romantic fiction novel, I think my exact words to someone I was recommending this book to were "I can think of a few history classes I would've done much better in if this book was written a few decades sooner!"  And honestly, I've read Running Barefoot by the same author as well, and I would say the exact same holds true for that book, Amy Harmon is truly gifted in her ability to teach you something under the guise of a love story....it kinda reminds me of how my mom used to make my kids pancakes with peas and carrots in them when they were babies!

Wilson assigns his class the task of writing their own history throughout the term, and the very first sentence Blue writes not only draws Wilson to Blue, but draws the reader into this story if you weren't already! 
[I am not sure of the original creator of this graphic to give a proper credit]

But the line I really loved from this book is the one I mentioned as the title's namesake, when Wilson says to Blue:
“I keep wishing you had a better life... a different life. But a different life would have made you a different Blue. And that would be the biggest tragedy of all.”
Ahhhh, right?!  This was a really tender love story, and it really satisfied my craving for a meatier, heavier story than some of the steamier, lighter contemporary romances I'd been reading.  And I'm even more excited at the end of this post that I chose this book to feature this week because when I went to Google to get the cover picture above I stumbled upon a NEW book, released a week ago and sounds equally {or more!} UHmazing, that I now can't wait to read by the gifted Ms. Amy Harmon!!


If you've read A Different Blue, or are now planning to {hint, hint!} we'd love to hear what you think in the comments below or in our Terrific Tuesday post on Facebook!!  Have a Terrific Tuesday!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment