Sunday, September 1, 2013

Remember When by Tina Torrest


Reviewed by Jen:

It only felt right to start with this book considering Tina Torrest was the author who motivated us to start this blog. So with that being said.........

I was first introduced to this book by April. She told me in these exact words, "You will love it. There are so many 80's references. I was cracking up." So, without a clue of who this author was, I decided to download it. For $3.99, I couldn't go wrong. Right? And knowing this book was the first in a trilogy, I knew if I liked it, that I was in for the long haul.

As I downloaded it to my Nook, I didn't know what to expect, but the cover was very cute. I don't like to base a book by it's cover, but lets be honest here.....a cute cover has never hurt anyone! So, as the book was opening, I held my breath and started on the first page.

The book takes place in what I would assume is the mid 80's. Layla (which just happens to be one of my FAVORITE names-bonus!) is the main female character. She has paired up with her much girlier neighbor, Lisa, who has brought Layla into the popular crowd. Lisa, the ever popular best friend is tall, pretty and goes to parties dressed in all the right clothes. Layla on the other hand is one outfit away from being a Joan Rivers joke on Fashion Police. Layla is sweet and kind and has been dating the same boy (Coop) off and on throughout her high school career. When low and behold a new kid comes into her English Lit class. And this is where we are introduced to Trip. (AKA: Chester-you have to read the book to find out why.)

At first Trip seems to be the same type of guy who hooks up with all the beautiful girls at the parties. But what you watch unfold throughout the book is a beautiful friendship between Layla and Trip. Too scared to tell him how she feels, Layla holds in her inner feelings and decides to just deal with the friendship card that has been dealt. And watching her best friend, Lisa, canoodle with her boyfriend doesn't help matters either. But on the night of her prom, she decides to stay home and that's when Trip decides to (insert spoiler alert-stop reading if you havent read it yet!) give her an idea of how he really feels for her.

I don't want to ruin the book for you, that is certainly not the intention of this blog. But I will say this, the journey is worth the long trip (pun intended) to get there. What you see is how magical a relationship can be when it's based on friendship first. I think I have a particular emotional connection to this book because my husband and I were friends for most of my junior high, all my high school and college days. So I know what that type of relationship can look like.

The bonus of the book is the journey to a time that was so great it was almost surreal. The 80's. No matter how much I explain to my kids the greatness of it....they will just never really "get it." So, to be reminded of some of the products I used to use and to laugh out loud about them....well that's just an extra little guilty pleasure about the book.

What I haven't mentioned is how it's not only Layla who falls in love with Trip, but you the reader will go right along with her. His laid backness and easy going demeanor along with super star looks are like a gravitational pull right to him, and you can't help but feel some type of connection with him.

I've had a lot of character crushes in my day....but for now, I have to say that Trip is my absolute favorite.




post signature

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Jen, I'll have to pick it up and give it a try!! I did have to stop reading though... didn't want you to spoil it for me :) Ha!!

    ReplyDelete